English



The Imperial Orthodox Palestinian society, a charitable scientific organization. It was created in 1882 on the initiative of Grand Prince Sergei Alexandrovich (president for life) with the purpose of supporting Orthodoxy in the Holy Land (including Syria and Lebanon), acquaintance of Russians with the Palestine and pilgrimage to the Holy Land.

The Palestinian Society erected churches and hostels in the Holy Land, supported teacher seminaries, schools, ambulance stations and hospitals. The Society negotiated preferential passing duties for pilgrims due to which many thousands of Orthodox believers from Russia could visit the Holy Land annually. The Palestinian Society also carried out archaeological excavations, scientific expeditions, published hagiographies of Palestinian saints, descriptions and guides of the Holy Land. The Orthodox Palestinian Anthology was published from 1881, (known as the Palestinian Anthology since 1918), and Reports of Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society from 1891. Many outstanding scientists were members of the society, including V. V. Bartold, S. F. Oldenburg, I. Y. Krachkovsky, V. V. Latyshev, N. Y. Marr, and V. V. Struve.

The Administration of the Palestinian Society, which had sections in many eparchies, was located in St. Petersburg at 36 Voznesensky Avenue. In 1885, the Chapel of St. Alexander Nevsky in Old Alexander's Market, which had raised money for the restoration of the Church of St. Nicholas of Mira in Turkey was transferred into the ownership of the Palestinian Society. In 1905, the chapel was sanctified as St. Nicholas’ Church. In 1913-15, the church dedicated to St. Nicholas of Mira was erected in its place in the Neo-Russian style. At the same time the Palestinian Society started building the Russian representative office with a church in the City of Bari in Italy, but the project was not completed on account of the Russian Revolution.

In 1918, the Russian Palestinian Society was transferred to the Russian Academy of Sciences; its Russian properties were nationalized.

The society now functions abroad under the original name along with the Jerusalem Spiritual Mission of the Moscow Patriarchate taking care of Russian Churches and Institutions in the Holy Land. In 1992, it was restored to its former status in Russia.



Conference on Grand Prince Konstantin Nikolaevich and Russian Jerusalem Held in Moscow

Версия для печати Отправить на e-mail
27.06.2011
As a part of the 19th International Christmas Educational Readings, an academic conference on Grand Prince Konstantin Nikolaevich and Russian Jerusalem was held at the Russian State Archives. Members of the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society took part in the event.
 

Russia strengthens presence in the Holy Land

Версия для печати Отправить на e-mail
12.06.2011
Tommy on site at the center of Bethlehem – a clear demonstration of the fact that the impending construction – it is not so much economic as political. Hectare of land donated by the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society (IOPS) on the personal initiative of President Mahmoud Abbas, exactly one year later, in June 2012, will become the permanent address of the Russian cultural and business center.
 

The Russian Orthodox Maecenas Club took part in the actions of the Imperial Orthodox Palestine society in Kaluga

Версия для печати Отправить на e-mail
27.05.2011
The Club constantly supports foundation and development of new branches of the Imperial Orthodox Palestine society, because it is the most important large-scale system-engineering project of the Russian World, the center of which is Russian Jerusalem. New branches, including Kaluga’s one, unite the Church, the authorities and the society in localities, involving them into international community of the Russian World.
 

A conference dedicated to the life and legacy of the Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich was held in St. Petersburg

Версия для печати Отправить на e-mail
16.05.2011
A conference dedicated to the life and legacy of the Grand Duke Sergei Alexandrovich was held this week in St. Petersburg. The two-day conference was held on May 14–15, and took place in the grand duke's former residence, the Sergius Palace which is situated on the Nevsky Prospekt. The conference was the first of its kind dedicated to the memory of an outstanding representative of the Imperial dynasty, according to the Russian news agency ITAR-TASS.
 

Palestinian Artifacts in Russian Museum

Версия для печати Отправить на e-mail
28.12.2010
A museum funded by Russia collecting hundreds of ancient Palestinian artifacts prepares to open its doors in Jericho, over a year after church officials in the city donated a track of land for the project.
 

Russian Cultural Center in Jericho to Open in January

Версия для печати Отправить на e-mail
24.12.2010
Museum and park complex that includes the Russian Cultural Center in Jericho, will be completed by the next January. Russian officials will attend an official opening ceremony that is expected to take place in January, deputy head of the Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society Nikolay Lisovoy told Interfax-Religion.
 

Russian Culture and Business Center to Open in Bethlehem in 2012

Версия для печати Отправить на e-mail
15.10.2010
The Russian Culture and Business Center will be built in Bethlehem in 2012, when the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society will celebrate its 130 anniversary, the Society head and Chairman of Russia's Audit Chamber Sergey Stepashin said, Interfax-Religion reports. Sergei Stepashin is leading a Russian delegation to Jericho to the celebrations of the city's 10,000th anniversary.
 

Russia’s Audit Chamber chairman S. Stepashin visits Holy Land

Версия для печати Отправить на e-mail
14.10.2010
A Russian Federation delegation led by Mr. S. Stepashin, head of the Audit Chamber and chairman of the Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society (IOPS), began their visit to the Holy Land on October 12, 2010, on the occasion of the 10000th anniversary of the founding of Jerico.
 

Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society holds panel discussion in Nizhny Novgorod

Версия для печати Отправить на e-mail
15.06.2010
A panel discussion on the topic «For the Sake of Zion, I Will Not Be Quiet; For the Sake of Jerusalem I Will Not Be Calm» was held at Pechersky Ascension Monastery in Nizhny Novgorod on June 15. The initiators of the event were representatives of the Jerusalem and the Nizhny Novgorod Departments of the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society (IOPS), and also Archimandrite Tikhon (Zatekin), Abbot of Pechersky Monastery, and a member of the society.
 

Patriarch Kirill speaks at the 1st Conference of Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society

Версия для печати Отправить на e-mail
10.06.2010
His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia addressed the 1st Conference of the Imperial Orthodox Palestinian Society, which took place on June 10, 2010, at the conference hall of Russia’s Chamber of Accounts.
 

Metropolitan Hilarion meets with the Chairman of the Russian Accounts Chamber Sergei Stepashin

Версия для печати Отправить на e-mail
08.02.2010
On 8 February 2010, Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk, chairman of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for external church relations and head of the Ss. Cyril and Methodius Postgraduate and Doctoral Programme of the Russian Orthodox Church visited the Accounts Chamber of the Russian Federation at the invitation of its chairman Sergei Stepashin.
 
<< В начало < Предыдущая 1 2 3 Следующая > В конец >>

Всего 17 - 32 из 41